Find a Pest Control Professional
April Designated As National Pest Management Month
FAIRFAX, Va. (April 1, 2011) – The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) celebrates April as National Pest Management Month, an observance that has been taking place for more than 30 years. National Pest Management Month honors the professional pest control industry for playing a key role in protecting both health and property from significant pest-borne threats.
"The NPMA is pleased to have the opportunity to publicly recognize the important work that pest professionals do every day during National Pest Management Month," says Missy Henriksen, vice president of public affairs for the NPMA. "In honor of National Pest Management Month, the NPMA is dedicated to raising public awareness about the risks posed by household pests and encouraging homeowners to take proactive steps to prevent pest infestations in their homes and properties."
Pest such as termites, rodents and carpenter ants can cause extensive property damage by chewing through walls, flooring and even electrical wiring. Other pests, including ticks, mosquitoes, cockroaches and stinging insects pose health threats to humans. Ticks can spread Lyme disease, while mosquitoes can carry West Nile virus. Cockroach allergens can trigger asthma attacks, while stinging insects send more than half a million people to the emergency room every year.
During April, the NPMA recommends that homeowners follow these tips to prevent pest infestations:
- Seal up cracks and small openings along the foundation of the house.
- Eliminate sources of moisture or standing water.
- Keep tree branches and other plants cut back from the house.
- Keep kitchens clean by wiping counters and emptying the garbage frequently.
- Keep all food containers sealed.
- Avoid leaving pets' food dishes out for long periods of time.
- Keep trash containers clean and sealed, both indoors and outdoors.
- Screen windows and doors.
- If you see signs of pests or suspect an infestation, contact a licensed pest professional.
For more information about National Pest Management Month or to find a local pest professional, visit www.Pestworld.org.
The NPMA, a non-profit organization with more than 7,000 members, was established in 1933 to support the pest management industry's commitment to the protection of public health, food and property.