Find a Pest Control Professional
Ultrasonic Bed Bug Devices are Useless
FAIRFAX, Va. (December 11, 2012) – New research in the Journal of Economic Entomologyshows that ultrasonic devices won’t keep bed bugs at bay, according to WebMD.com. Michael Potter, an entomologist at the University of Kentucky in Lexington said that the results are not surprising, but they are proof that yet another product claiming it will repel bed bugs is actually useless.
The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) says that vigilance and proactive inspections are the best method of avoiding a bed bug infestation. However, if bed bugs are found in the home, homeowners are advised to call in a pest professional to inspect and treat the problem.
Here are some prevention tips to keep in mind regarding how to avoid these bloodsucking pests:
- Vacuum suitcases after returning from a vacation.
- Check your sheets for telltale blood spots.
- Consider bringing a large plastic trash bag to keep your suitcase in during hotel stays.
- Carry a small flashlight to assist you with quick visual inspections.
- Never bring second-hand furniture, especially mattresses and box springs, into a home without thoroughly examining for signs of a bed bug infestation.
- Regularly inspect areas where pets sleep for signs of bed bugs.