Find a Pest Control Professional
It's Bed Bug Awareness Week - Brush Up On Information Before Vacation
Tips on Bed Bug Detection & Prevention for Travelers from the NPMA
As part of National Pest Management Month, which has been celebrated in April for more than 30 years, the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) is marking the week of April 22 - 28 as Bed Bug Awareness Week. As people begin to move about more frequently in the warmer months and embark on summer vacations, the NPMA is spreading awareness, promoting public vigilance and providing essential prevention advice about bed bugs.
"Bed bugs are still a problem in America. A survey of pest professionals conducted by the NPMA and the University of Kentucky in 2011, found that bed bug encounters have become more common in public places than in previous years; in some cases, the numbers of professionals who reported treating certain types of businesses and commercial facilities saw double digit growth from the prior year," said Missy Henriksen, NPMA's vice president of public affairs.
"With summer travel around the corner, NPMA reminds travelers to arm themselves with bed bug knowledge and prevention tips. A watchful eye can go a long way in preventing an infestation upon returning home," advised Henriksen.
The NPMA recommends the following bed bug prevention tips when traveling:
- At hotels, pull back sheets and inspect mattress seams, for telltale bed bug stains. Inspect the entire room before unpacking, including sofas and chairs and behind the headboard. Notify management of anything suspect and change rooms or establishments immediately.
- If you need to change rooms, don't move to a room adjacent or directly above or below the suspected infestation.
- Keep suitcases in plastic trash bags or protective covers during your stay to prevent bed bugs from nesting there.
- When home, inspect suitcases before bringing them into the house and vacuum them before storing.
- Wash all clothes - even those not worn - in hot water to eliminate any bed bugs and their eggs.
For more information, photos and videos of bed bugs, please visit allthingsbedbugs.org
The NPMA, a non-profit organization with more than 7,000 members, was established in 1933 to support the pest management industry's commitment to the protection of public health, food and property