Find a Pest Control Professional
Are You a Gourmet Meal for Mosquitoes?
According to a recent article from USAToday, there are several reasons why some people tend to be bitten by mosquitoes more often than others. Mosquitoes are thought to be equal opportunity biters, but some people’s skin chemistry might be more alluring to the average skeeter.
The article lists five reasons why mosquitoes might be more attracted to one person over another. Do any of them apply to you?
- You’ve been drinking: According to one study, alcohol can change our skin’s chemistry even after just one bottle of beer. This makes us more appealing, although it isn’t clear yet what the science is behind this attraction.
- You’re pregnant: Women who are pregnant exhale more carbon dioxide and are about one degree warmer than others, making it easy for mosquitoes to sense their presence.
- You are blood type O: People with Type O blood get bitten more than people with either Type A or Type B.
- You work out: Exercising builds up lactic acid in your sweat, so when you sweat, you’re more attractive to mosquitoes.
- You wear dark colors: Mosquitoes also hunt for prey by eyesight. They are apparently very attracted to darker colors such as black, navy or red.