Pest-Proof During National Pest Management MonthNPMA Staff
Monday, April 1, 2013
This April, the National Pest Management Association encourages
homeowners to take precautions against common pests
FAIRFAX, VA – The National Pest Management
Association (NPMA) celebrates April as National Pest Management
Month, an observance that’s been taking place for more than 30
years to recognize the pest management industry for its commitment
to the protection of public health and property from common
“Whether it’s rodents, ants, termites, bed bugs or cockroaches, pest professionals
play an important role in preserving our quality of life,” said
Missy Henriksen, vice president of public affairs for the NPMA.
“We’d like to recognize these men and women for all they do to keep
our families and homes safe from unwanted pests not just during
National Pest Management Month, but year-round.”
This April, homeowners are reminded to pest-proof their home in
preparation for the upcoming pest season. NPMA experts recommend
the following tips:
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home including
entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Repair fascia and rotted roof shingles.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the
foundation and windows.
- Keep tree branches and shrubbery well trimmed and away from the
- Store fire wood at least 20 feet away from the house and five
inches off the ground.
- Eliminate sources of standing water around the house, including
birdbaths and in clogged gutters.
- Keep basements, attics and crawl spaces well ventilated and
- Keep kitchen counters clean, and store food in
- Store garbage in sealed containers and dispose of it
- Avoid leaving pet’s food dishes out for long periods of
“As the weather continues to get warmer, pests will begin to
emerge from their overwintering sites and look for food indoors.
National Pest Management Month comes at the perfect time to make
pest-proofing a priority to prevent an infestation during the
spring and summer seasons,” added Henriksen.
For more information on National Pest Management Month or for
information on common household pests, please visit
The NPMA, a non-profit
organization with more than 7,000 members, was established in 1933
to support the pest management industry's commitment to the
protection of public health, food and property.