April Designated As National Pest Management MonthNPMA Staff
Friday, April 1, 2011
The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) celebrates April
as National Pest Management Month, an observance that has been
taking place for more than 30 years. National Pest Management Month
honors the professional pest control industry for playing a key
role in protecting both health and property from
significant pest-borne threats.
"The NPMA is pleased to have the
opportunity to publicly recognize the important work that pest
professionals do every day during National Pest Management Month,"
says Missy Henriksen, vice president of public affairs for the
NPMA. "In honor of National Pest Management Month, the NPMA is
dedicated to raising public awareness about the risks posed by
household pests and encouraging homeowners to take proactive steps
pest infestations in their homes and properties."
Pest such as termites, rodents and carpenter ants can
cause extensive property damage by chewing through walls, flooring
and even electrical wiring. Other pests, including
cockroaches and stinging insects
pose health threats to humans. Ticks can spread Lyme disease, while
mosquitoes can carry West Nile virus. Cockroach allergens can
trigger asthma attacks, while stinging insects send more than half
a million people to the emergency room every year.
During April, the NPMA recommends that homeowners follow these
tips to prevent pest infestations:
- Seal up cracks and small openings along the foundation of the
- Eliminate sources of moisture or standing water.
- Keep tree branches and other plants cut back from the
- Keep kitchens clean by wiping counters and emptying the garbage
- Keep all food containers sealed.
- Avoid leaving pets' food dishes out for long periods of
- Keep trash containers clean and sealed, both indoors and
- Screen windows and doors.
- If you see signs of pests or suspect an infestation, contact a
licensed pest professional.
For more information about National Pest Management Month or to
find a local pest professional, visit www.Pestworld.org.
NPMA, a non-profit organization with more than 7,000 members, was
established in 1933 to support the pest management industry's
commitment to the protection of public health, food and