Ultrasonic Bed Bug Devices are UselessJanay Rickwalder
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
New research in the Journal of Economic Entomologyshows that
ultrasonic devices won’t keep bed bugs at bay,
WebMD.com. Michael Potter, an entomologist at the University of
Kentucky in Lexington said that the results are not surprising, but
they are proof that yet another product claiming it will repel bed
bugs is actually useless.
The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) says that
vigilance and proactive inspections are the best method of avoiding
a bed bug infestation. However,
if bed bugs are found in the home, homeowners are advised to call
in a pest professional to inspect and treat the problem.
Here are some prevention tips to keep in mind regarding how to
avoid these bloodsucking pests:
- Vacuum suitcases after returning from a vacation.
- Check your sheets for telltale blood spots.
- Consider bringing a large plastic trash bag to keep your
suitcase in during hotel stays.
- Carry a small flashlight to assist you with quick visual
- Never bring second-hand furniture, especially mattresses and
box springs, into a home without thoroughly examining for signs of
a bed bug infestation.
- Regularly inspect areas where pets sleep for signs of bed