Tips for Bed Bugs in Schools
Although bed bugs are typically thought to be a household pest,
they can hitchhike with students, teachers and faculty into schools
and classrooms. In fact, in a
recent survey by the NPMA, 41% of pest control professionals
indicated that they have encountered bed bugs in schools and day
care centers. Here are the NPMA's tips to prevent bringing bed bugs
home from school:
- Make a habit of inspecting your child's backpack and
jacket every day when they return home.
- Also have them remove their school clothes and if possible wash
them in hot water right away.
- Teach your child, if old enough, to be on the lookout for any
signs of bed bugs.
- Talk to the school administrators and ask them if they have a
bed bug detection and elimination plan in place.
- Also make sure your children share with you if they know of any
friends who report bed bug infestations in their home.
- If a bed bug infestation is found, work with a professional
pest control company to treat the infestation and perform follow-up