Find a Pest Control Professional
Tips for Bed Bugs in Schools
Although bed bugs are typically thought to be a household pest, they can hitchhike with students, teachers and faculty into schools and classrooms. In fact, the 2015 Bugs Without Borders survey conducted by NPMA found that 43% of pest control professionals have encountered bed bugs in schools and day care centers. Here are the NPMA's tips to prevent bringing bed bugs home from school:
- Make a habit of inspecting your child's backpack and jacket every day when they return home.
- Also have them remove their school clothes and if possible wash them in hot water right away.
- Teach your child, if old enough, to be on the lookout for any signs of bed bugs.
- Talk to the school administrators and ask them if they have a bed bug detection and elimination plan in place.
- Also make sure your children share with you if they know of any friends who report bed bug infestations in their home.
- If a bed bug infestation is found, work with a professional pest control company to treat the infestation and perform follow-up inspections.
Check out our other tips for preventing bed bugs in different settings: