Woman Torches Bed Bug-Infested Mattress While Angry At Husband

WTSP.com
Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Lantana, FL - Firefighters scrambled to douse a fire inside a suburban Lantana apartment on Monday afternoon.

Jamaiya Pigrid says his wife torched their bedbug-infested mattress during a fit of rage.

"She was mad at me, because I wasn't quick enough to throw the bed out," he says.

The woman was seriously burned in the face after setting the mattress ablaze, and is currently in fair condition at Delray Medical Center.

"Bedbugs can make people crazy!" says Greg Rice, spokesperson for Hulett Environmental Services. Rice adds that it's nearly impossible for the average person to get rid of the tiny, blood-sucking parasites.

"Once they're established in our living environment, they are very, very difficult to get rid of." Rice advises a professional and costly fumigation is the only way to be sure you've got them all.

"It's a bad mistake," says Pigrid. "It shouldn't have happened."

Palm Beach County Fire Rescue Crews say they arrived around 2 o'clock Monday to find heavy smoke billowing out of the home. The wife apparently doused the mattress with lighter fluid and then ignited it using matches and phone books.

Then neighbors say it got even more bizarre.

"She was outside, butt-naked and everything," says one witness. "And [the husband] was just crying."

Firefighters were able to keep the blaze from spreading to neighboring apartments.

The woman has not been charged with arson at this time, but the couple will be evicted from their home.

As for the infestation, Rice says if there were bedbugs in the apartment, it's doubtful they all died in the fire.

"I don't know if she killed the bedbugs, but she certainly killed that mattress."