Bed Bugs A Concern When Traveling
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
COLUMBUS, OH - Terminix has released the most bedbug-infested
cities and tips to deal with them this holiday season.
Three of the top 15 cities are in Ohio.
Many people are traveling and that could mean the transfer of bed
The 2011 most bedbug-infested cities include:
1. New York City
7. Washington, D.C.
8. Los Angeles
10. San Francisco
11. Columbus, Ohio
12. Dayton, Ohio
14. Louisville, Ky.
Bedbugs are difficult to catch in the act of feeding; however, they
will leave behind signs of their presence. Infestation signs
* Blood spots on bedding.
* In heavily infested areas, their dark-colored excrement may be
* Bedbug bites generally result in raised, itchy areas similar to
those of mosquito bites.
* In heavy infestations, a strong, musty odor may
* Check around headboards, mattresses and box springs for bedbugs
and the dark blood spots they leave behind.
* Hang all clothing. Leave nothing lying on the bed or
* Avoid unpacking clothing and storing them in the hotel's
* Don't allow your baggage to sit on the floor. Store it on a
luggage rack as far from the bed as possible.
* If you notice evidence of bedbugs, request another room or change
* When returning home, leave luggage in the garage or basement
until you are able to thoroughly inspect it for bedbugs.
* Vacuum suitcases when returning from trips and immediately wash
clothing in hot water.
Home Prevention and Protection:
* Inspect vintage furniture, antiques, used appliances or
consignment items for signs of bedbugs before purchasing or
bringing into the home
* Never pick up used mattresses or furniture left curbside
* Inspect and wash (in warm water) previously-worn clothing that
has been donated or purchased from consignment shops
* Quarantine infested items. Moving them within the home can spread
* Use zippered encasements on infested mattresses and box
* If you suspect you have bedbugs, have your home inspected by a
trained professional. Bedbugs cannot be controlled by
over-the-counter treatments and will require the assistance of a
pest control operator.