Bed Bug Lawsuit Filed Against Rent-A-Center
Friday, May 18, 2012
HOUSTON - A woman is suing after she said furniture she rented
from Rent-A-Center was infested with bed bugs.
Leah Angle said she was just trying to provide a comfortable home
for her family when she rented furniture from a Rent-A-Center in
the 6100 block of Scott Street.
She said the same day she got the two couches home, something
"My boyfriend complained about sitting on the furniture, and he
said he was itching," said Angle.
At first, Angle said she thought it was an allergic reaction to
something her boyfriend ate, but two days later, Angle said she and
her 4-year-old son were experiencing painful symptoms too.
"Blisters started popping up everywhere," she said.
After a trip to the hospital, Angle said her fears were confirmed.
She said her entire family was suffering from bed bug bites.
Angle said she captured some of the bugs on her camera phone. She
said her boyfriend, Hardy Moore, got the brunt of the bites and the
"It's really horrendous because even after the process of taking
the medicine, you still go through stages of 30 to 45 days of
pain," said Moore.
Angle said her son has nightmares about the experience and is
scared to go to sleep. What's worse, she said, she believes the bed
bugs came from the Rent-A-Center furniture.
Local 2 contacted Rent-A-Center. A spokesman, Xavier Dominicis,
refused to speak on the specific case, but said each piece of
furniture is sanitized and inspected.
Local 2 asked if the company had any past complaints of bed bugs at
the Scott Street store. Again, Dominicis would not comment. He did
say as a policy, if it is proven that bed bugs came from
Rent-A-Center furniture, they will replace it, exterminate and
possibly pay damages.
Angle said since the company isn't admitting any fault, she hired a
lawyer. "We just want to see some kind of redressability
acknowledging the toll on this family," said Angle's attorney,
Angle said what she believes happened to her, she doesn't want to
happen to anyone else.
"I feel bad for the next person," Angle said.