Bed Bug Chaser Starts Apartment Fire

WOODTV.com (Kalamazoo, MI)
Friday, December 16, 2011

KALAMAZOO, MI - A fire started in an apartment as the tenant used a cigarette lighter to chase bed bugs, police told 24 Hour News 8. 

No one was injured and the blaze was contained to a bedroom, which sustained fire, smoke and water damage. 

The fire was in a second-floor residence at Fox Ridge Apartments, 1400 Alamo Hills Dr. in Kalamazoo. 

Members of the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety were dispatched around 6:35 p.m. Thursday and evacuated the building. They then extinguished the flames in 15 minutes. 

The resident admitted to starting the fire and tried using a fire extinguisher but had to evacuate as the fire spread.